Thursday, January 12, 2006

My evil, evil, job

I hate my job. No, seriously, I really, really, really hate my job. I don't mean this in the "I had a bad day so I hate my job, but everything will be okay tomorrow" sort of way. I mean it in the "I'd rather be hit by a bus than ever have to go back to that hell on earth again" sort of way.

I accepted this position because it seemed like a great opportunity for me. It also seemed like a pretty cool place to work. Well...whoever prepared those idiots for my interview really should get into marketing because I bought it hook, line and sinker, and it was all COMPLETE BULLSHIT.

First of all, they pretty much misrepresented several things. The first of which is that they told me that this was a new position that had just been created because of the company's growth. Come to find out that there have been three previous project managers before me, the longest of whom lasted two months before quitting.

When I first met my boss, I thought she would be demanding to work for, but a good mentor and someone I could learn a lot from. Well, if I want to learn how to be a stark raving, bi-polar, lunatic, I'm in the right place. There is no rhyme or reason or even the slightest bit of consistency in anything that freak does. One day she'll tell me "I want such-and-such done this way. Don't do it any other way, no matter what anyone else in this office says. Only do this the way I'm showing you right this very second". The next day? You got it...she's screaming at me because "That's NOT how I told you to do this" when I'm doing EXACTLY what she told me to do.

The other thing that really annoys me is that everyone in that office is so goddamn two faced. One minute these people are in my office bitching about Laura (the fictional name of the very real admin. assistant). Two damn seconds later, Laura's in my office and they are just as sweet as can be. Don't get me wrong, Laura's not the only person they do this to. It's pretty much open season on anyone who does not happen to be standing there at the time. Hell...I'd loooove to know what they say about me when I'm not there.

Here's the other thing...why the hell are they all in my office bitching in the first place? For some reason people seem to thing that the proverbial office water cooler is not the actual water cooler...it's my damn office. I can't tell you how many times a day someone comes in my office, plops down in my guest chair and starts gossiping/bitching/avoiding the boss. I am not kidding when I tell you that I had 4 people in my office at one point, who were doing NOTHING but bitching about the other people, who didn't happen to be in my office. The kicker? I wasn't even involved in the conversation! They just went about talking like I wasn't even in the damn room. Now what you need to understand is that I have an actual office, not a cubicle that could be mistaken for a common area.

There are about a million other things that I hate about this mind numbing, soul sucking job of mine, but I'm pretty sure nobody wants to hear me bitch about it. So, I'll go and have a glass of wine and daydream a little about opening my own catering company and try to think of something more amusing to write about tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Blogger oakland heidi said...

oh dear. I once had a "dream job" in the wine country. It was the BEST opportunity... blah blah blah... and it turned out to be the worst job EVER. I would cry all the time. I practically went broke soothing myself with shopping and expensive cheese. I quit.

A better job will come your way. but for now, I feel you. Thank god for Pinot.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home